REPORTING A CLAIM OR POTENTIAL CLAIM
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions claims team has earned a reputation for technical excellence when it comes to handling Agents E&O claims. Our Agents claim professionals have an average of 23 years of industry experience and more than half are attorneys. Unlike claim handlers at other carriers who handle claims for a number different lines of business, the Agents claim professionals at Swiss Re Corporate Solutions are dedicated to handling Agents E&O claims exclusively. You can be confident that the professional handling your claim has a deep understanding of the issues and will guide you on the path to resolution.
We encourage you to reach out to the claims team if you are concerned that you may be facing a claim. They can advise you on how you can reduce the likelihood of a claim materializing and, if advisable, assist you in filing a claim. With the Corporate Solutions Claims Commitment as the guiding light, you can count on the claims team to be proactive, responsive and without surprises.
If you become aware of an incident that could rise to a claim, report it. Potential claim situations do often turn into active claims, which can lead to possible coverage issues if not reported in a timely fashion.
When responding to an E&O situation, agency staff should never admit liability or enter into settlement discussions. Report the claim immediately and keep careful notes. For a handy wallet card that can be printed and kept handy, click here. Ensure that every member of your staff is provided with these basic instructions:
1. Never admit liability. You can be empathetic but never admit you’ve done anything wrong.
2. Don’t participate in any settlement discussions or enter into a settlement without written consent from your E&O carrier.
3. Ask them to explain what they think it is you’ve done wrong and write it all down including names, dates, and telephone numbers.
4. Don’t tell them you have E&O liability insurance unless they ask you specifically if you do. Then, only advise them that you do and that you will provide all the information to your insurance carrier and they will be in touch with them.
5. Report the incident immediately to management so they can submit it to your E&O carrier.
The Swiss Re claims team can help guide you in how to best communicate with your client, the carrier or other third parties. In an effort to help or sympathize with clients, agents sometime make statements that can be construed as admissions. Your claims team can help you avoid that.
- Believe you might have a claim but not sure? Call us.
- Did one of your staff make a mistake and think it could amount to something? Call us.
- Was a policy error just discovered that may be relevant to a loss? Call us.
Call Westport’s claims department at (800) 241-3470 or contact your state association program manager with your questions and/or concerns.
Swiss Re’s experienced and dedicated claims staff focuses solely on defending insurance agents E&O claims. 70% of all claims personnel are attorneys – not general adjusters handling multiple lines of insurance or third party administrators. With 13 years average experience and nearly 3,000 insurance agency E&O claims adjusted annually, the Swiss Re claims team knows how to handle E&O claims in your industry. About a third of claims are settled without involvement of outside defense counsel, which keeps costs down and lets you get back to work.
The Swiss Re Corporate Solutions US Agents Claims Team handles more E&O claims involving independent insurance agents on any given day than you’ll see in a year – perhaps in your entire career. The depth of knowledge and experience Swiss Re claim handlers can bring to bear is just as valuable on small claims as it is on the large ones. As a Swiss Re Corporate Solutions policyholder, you have this powerful claims team in your corner.
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions’ Claims Commitment is at the core of its claims philosophy. Swiss Re knows that how a claim is handled can be as important as the outcome itself. Their mission is to deliver exceptional claims service. Click here to read more about the Swiss Re Claims Commitment.